Funeral service will be held at 2:00PM on Monday January 22, 2024 at the Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church with interment to follow at Westridge Memorial Gardens. Viewing will be from 1PM-6:00PM on Sunday at Wiebe Funeral Home, Winkler. Donations may be made in John's memory to assist with expenses.


John Loeppky

1974 ~ 2024 

It is with broken hearts that we announce the passing of our dear son, brother, uncle and great uncle John on January 17, 2024, just 8 days shy of his 50th birthday. It gives us great peace and joy that he was a believer and the first thing he will see when he opens his eyes is his Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

John will be deeply missed by his mom, Eva Loeppky, his sisters Elena Friesen and Eva & Al Harder, as well as his 7 nephews and nieces, Alex & Kim Harder, Ariel & Thomas Marx, Michael Friesen, Ashley Friesen, Celena & Eric Pauls, Tiffany Friesen, Josiah Harder and great niece Nora Marx. He will also be missed by many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. John was predeceased by his dad, John P Loeppky.  

John was born to John & Eva Loeppky on January 25, 1974 at their home in Homburg, Durango, Mexico. John, along with his family moved to Winkler, Manitoba in November of 1986, when he was 12 years old.

He attended Winkler Elementary School, Garden Valley Collegiate and then Red River College. John was an active person, he loved jumping off the roof of the garage, ninja movies, riding his bicycle all over town, playing video games, learning to ride motor cycle and downhill skiing. He gave his life to Christ at an early age and was baptized at the age of 18 at the Bergthaler Church where he still attended to this day. He also went to youth at the Bethel Church with his buddies.

At the age of 17, during his senior year in high school he was in an accident while skiing and was paralyzed. John was a miracle, we were told because of where his neck broke he would only have the use of his head, yet, by the Grace of God, he received the use of his arms and feeling part way down his chest. The staff at the hospital commented that there was something different about John compared to most of their other patients. He radiated a joy and peace, and showed them kindness and grace. They enjoyed having him for the 5 months he spent at the Health Science Center rehab. He went back to school the following year and graduated with his sister Elena. With the help of friends and the church we fundraised enough money to buy John his large purple van and he learned how to drive again.

John was very involved in the church, from Bible study, to clubs, to making their weekly bulletins, and editing the weekly sermons to put online. And the church has always been good to him, with helping raise funds to buy another van and build a garage just 2 short years ago.

John was a great brother and uncle. Each and every niece and nephew, and even his great niece Nora, got rides on his table on the wheel chair. He also gave the kids rides in the little red wagon tied to the back of his chair, taught them how to fly on his flight simulator on his computer and was always a good influence and an inspiration to them.

For work John worked at Dig All Construction in the office for a few years before creating his own company ISourceDesign creating websites for businesses.

John loved flying remote control planes with his friends at the flying field.

Mom has always been John’s caregiver until a year ago when her health declined and he was her helper and companion, ordering and picking up groceries, running errands, paying bills just to name a few of the things John all did for mom. The house will be empty without him.

We will forever be thankful that we had our Christmas gathering early this year, just before John started his hospital journey, and that Elena asked for us to take a family photo since we were all together for the first time in a few years. John was already sick but still smiled for the photo, because that’s the kind of guy he was. We will forever treasure that picture.

John started noticing changes with his health in the spring and summer of 2023 and in August he broke his leg. At the beginning of December he got sick with what we thought was the flu and later that week on December 8th we took him to the ER and they diagnosed him with pneumonia and high blood calcium and admitted him for a week. During that time they did a CT scan and found a mass in his liver. A week later they did an MRI and we were told he had a very large tumour in his liver. He was able to be back at home for 2 weeks before going back to the hospital because his health was declining very quickly. They sent him to Winnipeg, where he was for 5 days, they did a biopsy and a bone scan. John was able to be back at boundary for his last 3 ½ days with his family. He passed away Wednesday, January 17th with his family by his side. 

Thank you John for the inspiration and amazing example you were to all of us and the love you poured into our lives.

If you wish to donate in John’s memory, you may do so to help the family with funeral expenses.

We as a family want to thank Samaritan Wellness for the great care you provided for John the last 9 months and to Dr. Zang and Dr. Wolke and the nurses and health care aids on the medical ward at Boundary Trails as well as Dr. Pierce and the staff that cared for John at St. Boniface Hospital.

Contact Us

Winkler: 204-325-4201
Morden: 204-822-4755
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9-12:00 PM and 1-5:00 PM