Fehr, Cornelius P.

Cornelius P

Cornelius P. Fehr

1956 - 2010 

Cornilous Fehr SQ.jpg


Dad was born February 5, 1956 to Jacob and Aganetha Fehr in Mexico.

Dad was baptized along with mom and his sisters, Maria and Tina at the Reinland Church in Mexico on May 20, 1979 by Mr. Peter Rempel from Manitoba.

Dad married his wife Eva (nee Peters) on July 1, 1979.  They were married for 30 years.

Dad grew up in Mexico along with his 11 siblings, where he worked alongside his dad on the family farm.  Desiring to provide better opportunities for his children’s future, Dad and Mom immigrated to Canada along with their three oldest children, Nancy, age 5, Bill, age 4, and Peter, age 1, in June of 1985. They lived briefly in Winkler and then bought a house and settled in Plum Coulee. It was there that they raised their family on Russell Street, and also welcomed two more boys into their family, Abe and Jamie. In June of 2005 Dad and Mom moved back to Winkler.

Dad was a very dedicated and hard working man. He started off working at Winkler Canvas. Occasionally, he would take turns bringing one of the children with him to work - he would show the kids how to heat-seal tarps. This was not always an enjoyable job for us, but no one had the heart to tell him that!

Dad began working at Triple E in 1996. He continued working until physically unable to do so, in May of 2009. In the recent years Dad worked at the ‘rain’ station with the RV units and he, in his very methodical way would check the units for any leaks. Nothing would get by him. He made many good relationships at work and felt extremely cared for by his fellow co-workers, especially during these last months.

In 1998 Dad was first diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on the lip. He had this removed and within a year his cancer had returned this time in his throat. Dad went through radiation and then a major surgery including skin grafting in March of 2001. This was successful in treating his cancer. Over the next eight years he was able to enjoy the marriage of three of his children and the joyful birth of eight healthy grandchildren.  It was in May of 2009 that Dad was diagnosed as having cancer again, this time at the base of his tongue. He was determined, and although medically there were no appropriate treatment options available, as a family our focus became spending a lot of time together, making our moments count, and taking each day at a time.

Mom did an extremely amazing job as his full time caregiver for the past ten months. She was by his side at all times. She honoured his wishes and did everything just the way Dad wanted it to be done. He even told her just the other day, “no one can do it better than you”.

Dad passed away peacefully with his whole family by his side, on Saturday, March 13th 2010 at 6:30A.M. at Boundary Trails Health Centre in Winkler. He leaves to mourn his passing, his wife, Eva; his daughter Nancy and husband William along with their children; Aleah, Haley and Jaren; his son Bill and wife Carmelle along with their children; Ethan, Kamden and Maksim; his son Peter and wife Nancy along with their children; Veona and Nedel; his son Abe; his son Jamie, three brothers, seven sisters along with many relatives and friends.

Dad loved to have the grandchildren around, teaching them to give high fives from an early age.  All of them looked forward to his swing rides.

He attended all five of the children’s sports events, mostly a lot of baseball from the time they were quite young, all the way until now. He even came to watch some of the grandchildren’s sports events.  He was a very faithful attender - sometimes that would mean two or more games in one day, sometimes half of one game, half of another kids’ game. He rarely missed. And he didn’t come to watch them win, that was made clear, but he came to watch them play and to be good sports.

Dad taught all of his children to drive. He was patient with them, making sure to transfer his ‘style’ in to everything he taught them. He showed them the right and wrong way to turn the steering wheel and also when to ‘give it a little more gas’. He is remembered for his exceptional driving skills, although a little on the slow side when driving in town. His family felt very safe with him at the wheel. He also took good initiative when helping his children choose their vehicles.

Dad really enjoyed watching air shows, while he did attend some, he even drove the family to Winnipeg, parked outside the fence of the Winnipeg Airport to watch the planes land and take off. Just this past Summer he went for an airplane ride with some of his family, which he enjoyed very much. Even Mom went in the airplane, just because Dad thought she would never do it - she did it for him, and surprised herself by enjoying it too.

Dad was also a very good story teller. There was no interrupting him because he had his story planned out from beginning to end, methodically telling the story with all the details - he captured your full attention.

Dad had a special interest in woodworking. He and his son-in-law William spent many hours together crafting wood and being precise with every detail. It had to be done Dad’s way, after all, that was the only way. He did not like sharp edges on wood, but always had to have a rounded edge. He respected and trusted William’s expertise and abilities and they had a special bond through woodworking together.

Dad continued with strong determination to do everything that he possibly could do. He had a mechanical and methodical way in his routine and the way he did everything. He took great attention to detail. One of his favorite pass times was playing cards, especially poker. Any time was a good time for card games. This is one thing that kept him going each day. He would already be planning in the morning who was up for playing cards that evening - and this continued until his last day. He also could win at every card game - he was known as the King of Cards.  He always had the ace. Through his card playing, he developed a very special relationship with many people. He will be deeply missed around the card table. The way that his poker friends embraced him and enjoyed his company has been extremely meaningful to us, his family.

As a family we would like to thank Dr. Woelk and Karen Schaak for their kind and compassionate care given to Dad as well as Dr. Kerr who treated Dad’s cancer until this last year.

To all of our friends and family who have been supportive and shown their expressions of care through prayer, cards, meals, flowers and gifts. We are truly grateful.

Our family takes great comfort in knowing that Dad is no longer suffering. Dad’s faith was evident in the peace that he experienced knowing that his life was in the Lord’s hands and it would be according to His plans.  We enjoyed getting texts from Dad, as his speech became more difficult, that would say things like, the Lord had granted him a good sleep.

We sorrow not as those who have no hope but fully believe that he has gone to be with his Lord and Savior, to enjoy the beauty of heaven forevermore.

On Saturday March 13, 2010 at Boundary Trails Health Centre, Cornelius Fehr aged 54 years of Winkler, MB formerly of Plum Coulee went to his eternal rest. 

He leaves to mourn his passing his wife, Eva (nee Peters) of Winkler; daughter, Nancy and William Hildebrand of Reinfeld; 4 sons, Bill and Carmelle of Winkler, Peter and Nancy of Grunthal, Abe Fehr of Winkler, Jamie Fehr of Winkler as well as 8 grandchildren, 7 sisters and 3 brothers. 

He was predeceased by his parents Jacob and Aganetha (nee Peters) Fehr and a sister, Katherina Fehr. 

Funeral service was held on Wednesday March 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm at Winkler Sommerfeld Mennonite Church with interment prior at the Rosenbach Cemetery. 

Send Message of Condolence

If you are having issues completing this form, please try our contact page and we will post your message of condolence for you. Thankyou

Security code
Refresh Captcha