Dyck, Trudy

Gertrude “Trudy” Dyck (nee Dyck)

1925 - 2010

Dyck_Trudy_sqOn December 30, 2010, our beloved mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother passed away peacefully at the Salem Personal Care Home. She was predeceased by her loving husband J. Harold in June of 1986. She was also predeceased by her parents Peter and Anna Dyck; siblings Jacob, Ernest, Peter, Helen Wieler, and Hilda Belanus; and in-laws George Wieler, Marie Dyck, and Jake Falk.

Trudy is survived by her children Jason and Diane Dyck, and Cynthia and Henry Amman; grandchildren Virginia and Ryan Shrimpton (children Connor and Dylan), Amber, Kyle, and Jazmyn and Zane Strydom. She is also survived by her sisters Anne Falk, Jessie and Abe Krahn, Ruth and Nestor Poloway, Olga and Jake Letkeman; brothers Henry and Margaret Dyck, and John and Mary Dyck; and brother-in-law Charles Belanus; and many nieces and nephews.

Trudy Dyck was born in Plum Coulee, Manitoba on April 24, 1925. She spent her early childhood in the Kleefeld district where she began her schooling. When the family moved to Schoenwiese she continued her schooling there. After school she stayed home and helped take care of the family and spent summers picking potatoes across the border and hoeing beets.

On September 20, 1947, she married J. Harold Dyck whom she had met while attending school. They spent a few short months living with her parents, but soon moved on. During the war years, they lived in Ontario where Dad spent time mining and logging. Eventually they moved to Winnipeg while Dad went to school to study carpentry. They then made one final move to Winkler where they stayed, although they changed houses several times. Mom remained at home in order to be at home for Dad and later on their children. She was always interested in the lives of her children and was determined that they should have many opportunities to follow their dreams. You always knew that she was enjoying her role when you heard her singing. The songs, usually hymns, would be sung from the heart, although occasionally she would slip into songs she’d learned in her youth, or something her children had learned at school and taught her. Once the grandchildren were born, she enjoyed babysitting them and sharing with them the many of the same songs and stories that she had sung and read for her own children.

You could find a vegetable garden behind the house, but eventually all her gardening time was taken up with her flowers. She loved her plants, especially the seven sisters lily because there were seven sisters in her family. She had many varieties of lilies and irises and would willingly share them with family and friends. Mom loved to work with her hands and they were seldom idle. If she was unable to work in her garden, she would be busy cleaning the house, or baking. She also loved to make things, especially crocheted doilies. In later years, once the children were older, Mom painted the houses that Dad built. She shared that love of colour and painting with her daughter.

Mom wasn’t one to go out for coffee, but she loved to visit with family. All of her brothers and sisters were very important to her. She loved to hear about her many nieces and nephews, and kept her own family up-to-date with all the happenings. Those precious contacts were sorely missed. It may sound as though Mom didn’t like to leave home, but offer her the chance to travel to places like Alberta, Arizona, B. C., Kansas, or Belize and it wouldn’t take her long to pack her bags. She and Dad had hoped to do some travelling once he retired, but after he passed away she had no heart to go on her own, even if it was to visit family.

The fall of 2001 was a sad one when we had to acknowledge the fact that Mom was having a difficult time being on her own. The bright spot in all of this was the freedom she had to express her sense of humour. She loved to visit with the staff of the hospital and the Care Home. Early in 2002 she became a resident at the Salem Personal Care Home where she received loving care. Through all of these trials, Mom’s faith remained strong. She knew that life didn’t depend on the things of this world. Her favourite verse was “We walk by faith, and not by sight.” And this she continued to do through her many years at Salem. On December 28th, while still recovering from a lung infection, she was placed in palliative care. With family constantly in attendance, over the following two days, she rested comfortably until she passed peacefully away on the afternoon of December 30th, 2010. 

Funeral service was held on Tuesday January 4, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at Winkler EMM Church with interment prior at Winkler Cemetery.

Wiebe Funeral Home, Winkler

In care of arrangements.